This week in boxing: Nov. 17, 2015
* The Oscar De La Hoya Foundation hosted its 19th Annual Turkey Giveaway on Saturday at the Oscar De La Hoya Ánimo Charter High School to help the needy in East Los Angeles. De La Hoya and many fighters from the Golden Boy Promotions team helped to distribute hundreds of turkeys to families in the community.
* Former WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne hammered out a 10-round unanimous decision over Derric Rossy on Saturday in Las Vegas.
* Massively talented but recently inactive THE RING magazine junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux has been added to this weekend’s Miguel Cotto-Canelo Alvarez undercard in Las Vegas.
* A nice gesture from “The Problem”: Four-division world champion Adrien Broner purchased a mini-van for 16-month-old Lyana Davis and her family in his home of Cincinnati, Ohio. The young girl is battling cancer for the second time.
* Andre Ward on vacating the WBA super middleweight belt: “I won the WBA belt for my first world title in 2009 and have defended it six times and it’s been a wonderful ride with the WBA. I’m looking forward to moving up and hopefully winning the WBA light heavyweight belt.”
* Oscar De La Hoya to Floyd Mayweather Jr. (in a Playboy interview): “Truth be told, I’m not unhappy to see you retire. Neither are a lot of boxing fans. Scratch that. MOST boxing fans. Why? Because the fight game will be a better one without you in it. Let’s face it: You were boring.”
* World middleweight champion Miguel Cotto said last week that Saturday evening’s defense against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas) will be one of his last. “I said once that I would retire before I was 30 and I’m 35 now but I’m going to be in boxing no longer than a year from now.”
* World-rated lightweight contender Felix “El Diamante” Verdejo and former four-division world champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire will co-headline a bill on Dec. 11 in Puerto Rico.
* Dallas junior middleweight Charles Hatley scored an exciting 11th round TKO over two-time super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine last Wednesday in Melbourne, Australia. Mundine, 40, is 3-3 in his last six. When Mundine does step away from boxing, he will do so having faced an impressive list in Sven Ottke, Guy Waters, Sam Soliman, Manny Siaca, Mikkel Kessler, Danny Green, Daniel Geale, Garth Wood, Bronco McKart, Shane Mosley and Joshua Clottey.
* Teddy Atlas on Timothy Bradley’s next foe: “I don’t know if anyone remembers his name because he has been out of the limelight for a while. Maybe everyone forgot him. Maybe someone like (Floyd) Mayweather (Jr.) wants to come back for number 50 and wants to match intelligence with us. That would be interesting, if he came back to match wits with us. Give us a chance to come up with a game plan to give him a loss.”
* Timothy Bradley on Manny Pacquiao’s next foe: “I want to see (Terence) Crawford get that Manny Pacquiao fight. He’s the next superstar in boxing and I want to see if Crawford can dethrone the great Manny Pacquiao.”
* Unfortunate news: Six championship belts were stolen from the International Boxing Hall of Fame last week in Canastota, NY. The belts were won by ring legends Tony Zale and Carmen Basilio.