PBC on FS1 results: Jamal James wipes out Mahonry Montes


Welterweight Jamal “Shango” James earned his moment, Friday night, by delivering a second round knockout of Mahonry Montes in front of a hometown crowd, headlining a Premier Boxing Champions card, on FS1, that produced several memorable instances.


James, 24-1 (11), attracted a sold out crowd of 3,574 at the Minneapolis Armory and, in the final minute of the second round, the 30-year-old put together some great offense to force it to its feet before the final blow. Montes, 35-8-1 (24), didn’t start the fight with haste but, after eating a big right hand, started to let his hands go and prompt a firefight. James had the faster hands and the better technique, getting the edge in exchanges and, just before the 10-second warning, he put an end to things with a perfect left hook to the body.


Montes, a 28-year-old from Los Mochis, Mexico, who had been stopped three times before, rolled over in pain, as referee Mark Nelson reached the count of eight. Nelson waved the fight off, as Montes turned to the other side, as James basked in the praise of an exciting win. James earned his fourth victory since his only defeat, a unanimous decision in 2016, to Yordenis Ugas, who is still a capable contender today. It was his second win by knockout since, the other being a third round beatdown of Diego Chaves, which also ended with a body shot. With the other wins over Jo Jo Dan and Abel Ramos, James followed his second straight main event in Minneapolis with a lot of noise but he’s quietly putting together a string of wins that can get him back into serious contention at 147 pounds with Ugas.


Topping off the co-featured fights of the evening, Willie Monroe Jr. outboxed Javier Maciel to a near shut-out unanimous decision (100-90 twice, 99-91), at auper middleweight, after 10 rounds.


Monroe, 23-3 (6), controlled the fight in virtually every aspect, leaving little hope for the one-dimensional Argentinean looking to fight. The two-time middleweight title challenger used his legs and busy jab to prevent that from happening but possessed hand speed that easily got off power shots, when the opportunity presented itself. Maciel, 33-7 (23), would sometimes get shots off when Monroe would find himself on the ropes but, more often than not, it wasn’t due to his pressure. Monroe often got there under his own accord and would evade any threatening punch coming at him.


Monroe, Rochester, New York, earned his second win since challenging Billy Joe Saunders 11 months ago for the WBO middleweight title. Shutting out Carlos Galvan on the cards last March in the first leg of his second comeback, Monroe showed once again that he’s a very good boxer but these types of wins have only come on a certain level. Monroe’s win came and went with little regard but his boxing lesson was preempted by one of the most memorable moments to ever happen in boxing.


In one of the most peculiar moments in recent memory, one second into round one, Curtis Harper walked out of the ring to avoid fighting Efe Ajagba, which prompted a disqualification, giving the Nigerian prospect a win.


Harper, 13-6 (9), turned his back toward his towering opponent before the opening bell and the ring cleared. He was facing the crowd but, just as the bell rang, turned around to face Ajagba and, in seemingly the same instant, turned right back around and stepped out of the ring. Ajagba, referee Celestino Ruiz and the entire crowd were in awe, as Harper made his exit, doing so on a raised pathway to backstage, that lifted him up for everyone to see.


Ajagba, a 24-year-old standing 6-foot 5 and weighing 236.5 pounds, got a win by not throwing one punch. However the PBC’s Jordan Hardy reported that Harper was unhappy with the money he was receiving to fight Ajagba. In that moment, he looked like a fighter intimidated by the hulking power-punching prospect out of Stafford, Texas, and, although Ajagba, 6-0 (5), got a victory, he will no longer have a 100-percent KO percentage.


Junior middleweight Jeison Rosario battered Jamontay Clark around the ring over the course of 10 rounds to earn a big unanimous decision win, even forcing Clark out of the squared circle in the fight’s only knockdown.


After a right hand clipped him in the fifth round, Clark, Cincinnati, Ohio, tripped over himself backward through the bottom rope, to hang and slip out of the ring. Clark, who came into the fight undefeated, seemed to carefully somersault his legs onto the ground for a safe landing and got up rather composed, knowing he had 20 seconds to enter by rule. Clark, 23, went up the steps and received the rest of his count by referee Mark Nelson, only to let the fight slip out of his hands and take a beating from the Dominican in the process.


Clark, 13-1 (7), wasn’t exactly winning the fight before the fifth round, thanks to an unrelenting attack by Rosario, but he was no longer looking for victory, once tasting the power of the shot that forced him into the awkward ring reentry. The tall southpaw was busy on his legs the rest of the way but couldn’t put together the proper positioning for any effective offense. Rosario, 16-1-1 (11), didn’t have much trouble with a mobile opponent, thanks his drive to stalk and simply throw lots of punches. Also 23, Rosario showed good conditioning to sustain his offense and hurt Clark with another right hand in the seventh, almost knocking him down. In the eighth, Clark got caught in a corner by Rosario and a flurry had him scurrying across the ring into a turnbuckle, which was close to making him one of the few fighters ever to get knocked out of the ring twice. Once Clark tired, things got easier for Rosario, whose right hand sprayed the sweat off Clark’s head regularly. Clark may’ve showed toughness in taking the clean shots but, while still not establishing much offense, the fight started to seem pointless, going into the final round. To his credit, the Cincinnati native still finished the fight but it was one that that’ll be a point of reference, should he never be the same.


In the opening bout of the FS1 telecast, Eimantas Stanionis dominated Levan Ghvamichava for eight rounds to earn a unanimous decision win (79-73 twice, 80-72).


A 24-year-old junior middleweight prospect from Kaunas, Lithuania, Stanionis, 7-0 (5), showcased himself well against the most experienced opponent he’s faced to date, doing so in his national television debut. Armed with a strong jab, Stanionis quickly took control of the distance battle and started walking his opponent down by the end of the first round. Even the jabs were popping back the head of “The Wolf,” who was coming off a year-plus layoff from arguably his biggest win, but the 33-year-old Georgian proved to be too tough and finished the fight, even though he was clearly a step behind and perhaps a few years too old for the prospect.




You can reach Michael Baca II at mikebaca2@gmail.com and follow him at twitter.com/mikebaca2



Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,