FS1 results: ‘The Wolf’ stops Prescott




Levan “The Wolf” Ghvamichava stopped Breidis Prescott in the seventh round of a Premier Boxing Champions main event, broadcast on FS1. The card took place at the Robinson Rancheria Resort and Casino in Nice, California on Tuesday night.


A last-minute replacement, Prescott, 33, started off strong against Ghavamichava by pumping out his jab in the opening round and using every part of the ring to elude the charging Georgian. But after the first round ended, Levan, an unmistakably hirsute man, began to tangle Prescott up with precise body shots and cutting off the ring. It quickly turned into a brawl once Prescott was forced to ditch the boxing and it provided a style of fight that favored the Wolf.


Ghvamichava’s jab started to become a catalyst in the fourth round and Prescott couldn’t find a way to get away from it. It peppered the Colombian for the round’s entirety and, after an accumulation of follow-up right hands, Prescott got wobbled with his back to the ropes. A right hand to the chin dropped him for a knockdown with about 30 seconds left. Prescott barely survived the round on the shakiest of legs.


Prescott, 29-8 (21), proceeded to keep fighting back, however, and it produced good action but a wide-open target for Ghavimachava. The Colombian was landing his one-two that ended with a straight right hand but the shots had little to no effect on the Wolf.


In the fateful round, Ghvamichava shots had a lasting effect. He kept pressing forward and, just when it seemed like Prescott finally decided to keep a comfortable distance behind his jab, Levan stalked him and landed a left hook that dropped Prescott to the canvas for another knockdown. Prescott was a flailing mess after getting up and fell to the canvas twice more but the referee ruled both instances a slip. After finally trapping Prescott with his back against the turnbuckle, Ghvamichava landed a few more right hands before the referee finally waved it off at the  2:37  mark.


Ghvamichava, 17-2-1 (13), ran to the opposite corner in jubilation and jumped on the turnbuckle to celebrate the win. Coming off a stoppage loss, the Wolf closed the show and gave a spirited performance against a veteran (and last-minute replacement) opponent.


In the co-feature, two undefeated junior middleweight prospects produced a good, competitive fight but Mark Anthony “Madman” Hernandez prevailed with a wide unanimous decision (79-72, 78-73, 77-74) over Thomas Hill.


Each looked to impose his will onto the other in the beginning of the fight but Hernandez, 23, landed the more precise shots as the two went toe to toe. It made for a thrilling fight, despite sometimes being sloppy, but they went after it and Hill, 22, seemed quite surprised that Hernandez could handle his hand speed.


Some rounds were close but Hernandez always seemed to land the biggest punches of the fight, often stealing a toss-up round. Hill constantly went to the body the entire fight and was effective but, after being warned for firing low, he was docked a point in the seventh round. Upon seeing the replay, the punch was right on the belt line.


It happened to be during a round in which Hill, 6-1 (1), had convincingly won and, as time resumed, the two went at it with shots that had knockout intentions. Again, many of them didn’t land cleanly but the hard-bitten action was gripping. It lasted up until the final bell but, once the wide scores were read, it was already apparent that Hernandez, 8-0 (2), would be the one to keep his record unblemished.


In the opening bout of the FS1 telecast, middleweight prospect Malcolm McAllister dominated Gilberto Yoruba (also known as Gilberto Pereira dos Santos) for seven rounds and earned a TKO victory after the Brazilian quit on his stool before the final round.


McAllister, Long Beach, California, was cool and calm but once he let his hands go, chaos ensued. McAllister pumped out a strong jab that seemed to have the force of a power shot. Yoruba, 12-3 (9), put his guard up to block the shots but McAllister often followed up with right hooks to the body in order to bring it back down. When Yoruba did throw his shots, they were hurried, uncalculated hooks that McAllister could see from a mile away. By the end of the third, McAllister busted the bridge of Yoruba’s nose as he started to implement his uppercut on the inside.


McAllister, 8-0 (8), best exuded his confidence in the fourth round with a little bit of showboating. It wasn’t a shuffling of the feet or gesticulating of the hands, rather a distinct indifference of Yoruba even being in the ring with him. Malcolm went through long moments in which he just walked the ring, staring at the canvas, and monitoring what Yoruba did with nothing more than peripheral vision. However, when McAllister went back to work, a big overhand right sent Yoruba into a stumble backward for reassurance. In the sixth, Yoruba tried to muscle his way back into the fight but all he wound up with was a point deduction for low blows. He was then beaten up by McAllister for the seventh and was convinced afterward that he had no business being in there with the 25-year old prospect.





Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,