Divorce Settlement

Mayweather-Schaefer-De La Hoya

 

It was first reported by Lance Pugmire of the LA Times over the weekend that a settlement had been reached between Golden Boy Promotions and Al Haymon/Richard Schaefer. It is a development that will have significant ramifications on the boxing business in what is sure to be among the most interesting years in recent memory.

 

In short, boxers who are advised by the influential Haymon such as Adrien Broner, Danny Garcia, Lamont Peterson, Marcos Maidana, Abner Mares, Daniel Jacobs and Peter Quillin will no longer be fighting under the Golden Boy banner as they have for the past several years (recently boxers who were with Haymon but never had promotional pacts with the company, such as Errol Spence Jr., were very visible on televised GBP cards).

 

Meanwhile, Amir Khan, Leo Santa Cruz, Lucas Matthysse and Paulie Malignaggi, who are associated with Haymon, will remain with the company for the time being.

 

So basically, on the surface, all Golden Boy really got were fighters who were already under contract. Honestly, it doesn’t seem like all that much. One source says the goal for GBP was to start “moving forward” as Oscar De La Hoya takes the reins of his company from Schaefer, who resigned his post over the summer and was then subsequently sued by the “Golden Boy.” It’s been rumored for months that Schaefer would be fronting a company stocked with Haymon’s boxers but the source says, “Richard will be on timeout for awhile.”

 

Also as part of this settlement, Haymon had to cut GBP “a big fat check.”

 

The bottom line is if Haymon couldn’t completely hijack this company – with Schaefer as its CEO, who facilitated much of this – he was never going to act in its best interest (which theoretically isn’t his job as someone who supposedly represents the interests of the fighters) but his reticence in approving any challenging match-ups in 2014 was becoming problematic. The Haymon tail wagged the Golden Boy dog more and more. And things hit a nadir on Aug. 9 as GBP was the promoter of record for a terrible night of mismatches at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, featuring Garcia, Peterson and Jacobs (but it also has to be pointed out that Golden Boy did get paid for its trouble by Showtime and Haymon).

 

Moving forward, Haymon is now poised to officially announce his new series on NBC this upcoming week in New York. Word is that two Haymon-affiliated promoters, Goossen Promotions and Leon Margules, have holds on Las Vegas venues for March 7 and the 28th. Rumor is Broner could be headlining the initial card on the network. Haymon, who now has over 125 fighters under contract, has one of the deepest and most talented stables in all of boxing and in place of Golden Boy, he now has supplicants in Lou DiBella, Margules and Goossen Promotions, among others, to carry his water as he avoids any Muhammad Ali Act violations.

 

Golden Boy still has the services of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez – one of the game’s legitimate draws – the last remaining aforementioned Haymon boxers, Bernard Hopkins, Randy Caballero, Fidel Maldonado Jr., prospects Frankie Gomez, Antonio Orozco, Vyacheslav Shabranskyy, Joseph Diaz Jr. and boxers managed by Joel De La Hoya (such as Francisco Vargas and Diego De La Hoya). Late last week, the company announced the signing of a dozen fighters to their organization and has a renewed relationship with HBO. Alvarez signed a lucrative multi-year deal with the network in the fall. Business will proceed for Golden Boy.

 

But questions remain, involving Golden Boy’s relationship with Showtime, which has frayed in recent months in light of the recent developments. Are the Haymon fighters still with GBP eligible (or allowed to) be on HBO for, say, a bout between Matthysse and Ruslan Provodnikov? One of the reasons Showtime’s schedule for 2015 is basically non-existent other than its upcoming card this weekend in Las Vegas was the uncertainty over just who had control of these boxers.

 

And what happens to proposed bouts like Mares versus Santa Cruz?

 

Will Showtime give dates to Golden Boy boxers who are not associated with Haymon?

 

Is Khan really in the mix to face Manny Pacquiao now?

 

Was Haymon saving all his good stuff for 2015?

 

A lot was answered over the weekend. But so much still remains unanswered.

 

 

NBC

 

Much is being speculated regarding Haymon’s deal with NBC, which is set to debut on March 7. Again, a commercial for this series ran during the NFL playoff game on Saturday between the New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens but didn’t offer all that many details.

 

One source says the plan is for NBC Sports Network to do a pre-fight show from 8-8:30 p.m. on that night, air whatever fights Haymon has approved from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. on NBC and then wrap things up back on NBC Sports Network from 10:30 to 11 p.m.

 

Let’s see where this goes.

 

 

FINAL FLURRIES

 

Ievgen Khytrov was in really soft on Friday night on “ShoBox” but he has legitimate power…Francisco “Chia” Santana is the very definition of “television fighter”…Roc Nation Sports had an interesting debut. The fights weren’t great but they certainly had a lively atmosphere at the Theater and it looked like an event. The key now is to sustain this over a period of time…David Lemieux could be a part of Golden Boy Promotions very soon. I’m told there is a verbal agreement in place…I’m still mystified over that last decision/pass of Joe Flacco…The NFL Divisional Playoff weekend is really football nirvana…Yeah, I thought Dez Bryant made that catch. To me, that’s the Cowboys version of the “Tuck Rule”I can be reached at steve.kim@ucnlive.com and I tweet (a lot) at http://twitter.com/steveucnlive. I also share photos of stuff at http://instagram.com/steveucnlive.

 

 

Comments

comments

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,